Monday, November 7, 2011

poems



The poem “Hope” by Lisel Mueller was unique and because of this I didn’t like it. I didn’t really find this poem appealing. It might be because I didn’t fully understand the poem or maybe because I didn’t get the Hope in the poem at all. I do admit that the poem dose has form and a rhyme to it. But only because it flows doesn’t mean I understand it or like it. It talks about natural of hope such as the fluttering seeds (“angles”) of maple trees lines 7 and 8 and the live such as the child that has just been born in line 16. The connect? I don’t know really. To me this poem is really confusing. The ending is kind of funny as well  “it is in this poem, trying to speak.” What is trying to speak? The poem to me didn’t make any sense.
In the other hand I really did like the poem “Sir Patrick Spens.” I like this poem because I actually understand it and it had a story to tell. A sad story because Sir Patrick Spens dies at the end but the way and the tone of the poem makes the poem enjoyable to read. The form of the poem it real organizes with 5 lines in each block. It also had a rhyme scheme, which rhymed.
These both poems are very different of each other. One is that “Sir Patrick Spens” is a telling of a story and the “Hope” poem is a since of hope. They are both about the same in length and they both have a good rhyme and flow to. But I did like one better than the other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment