Just want to say that yes Claudius is evil. Purely evil, umm I don’t know, I’m leaning more on yes than no right at this moment. And it's because everything that happen in the story happen because Claudius was greedy and selfish. All of the actions in this play were tragedies because of him. He did them because they benefit him and only himself. For example he try to kill Hamlet because he know that he was the one who killed his father hamlet Senior, the king. When the plan did not went as plan, he told Laertes to help him. Laertes agrees because Hamlet killed Polonius by mistake. Hamlet killed Polonius thinking he was Claudius. So Claudius tried to send Hamlet to England where he was going to died for sure. So that’s when Laertes came in the picture. Which Laertes fights Hamlet with a poisonous sword that Claudius design, he gets himself killed. So now Laertes is death as well. Just in case the poisonous sword didn’t kill Hamlet, Claudius puts poison in a cup made for him to drink and die. But of course Hamlet doesn’t drink it, but guess whom? Yes the beautiful wife, who indeed was one of the reasons Claudius, kills the king in the first place! Funny huh! My point is that all of this happens because Claudius didn’t want his secret to be revealed. Oh and I forget to moment that In the middle of all of this Ophelia found outs that Polonius had died, she goes insane and commits suicide. Great everyone is death, beside one person. So that is the only I am leaning towards yes he is “purely” evil. “Purely” and not just evil is because he had back up plan like crazy… England, drink, fight, and sword, are way to any for just an evil man.
I only found two links that really didn’t support my theory. The first one I found that Claudius being not “purely” evil was when he admits, “Oh, my offence is rank…It hath the primal eldest curse upon’t. A brother’s murder. Pray can I not,” and “Forgive my foul murder” and “My stronger guild defeats my strong intent,” all on page 1411 about him killing his brother, the king, Hamlet senior, Hamlet father etc.
The second one was when Ophelia goes insane because she found out that Polonius had died. Claudius asks Gertrude to follow her on page 1425, “Follow her close, give her good watch I pray you.” To me when he said “I pray to you,” I guess it shows that he cares and that he really wasn’t evil. Beside these two, he is “purely” evil to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment